20 Jan What does a Postpartum Doula do?
The first weeks with a new baby can be challenging. While the new baby is a loved and exciting new member of the family, everyone has been through big changes. No one is sleeping quite enough. Babies seem endlessly hungry and breastfeeding moms seem endlessly thirsty! Even though it’s a normal thing to welcome a new member to the family, there might be hiccups along the way with breastfeeding, healing, and adjusting to the new normal. Enter a postpartum doula. These caregivers are experts in guiding a family through these weeks and stepping in to help with the tasks that can feel overwhelming.
Doulas come into your home to support the whole family and can offer:
- newborn care
- education about physical recovery from birth
- breastfeeding assistance
- guidance on infant feeding
- information on normal development and stages
- support for parent-baby bonding
- encouragement and resources for emotional recovery
- referrals for community support
To ensure that your time with your newborn is peaceful and healing, postpartum doulas perform many tasks. This support can alleviate some of the stress and work of the first weeks of parenting:
- Assistance with newborn care including diapering, bathing, feeding and nighttime parenting support
- Guidance on nursery set-up and equipment purchases
- Sibling care
- Meal and snack preparation
- Running errands
- Light housework related to the baby
Interested? Schedule a postpartum planning session today! We strategize to maximize your free helpers to save you money on paid helpers. Let’s talk about what you might anticipate needing and deploy my services into times where your support needs will be the greatest.
I am partnered with Green Bay Doulas in the Fox Valley area and Milwaukee Newborn Care in the Milwaukee area to provide postpartum doula care. I would love to help your family as you welcome your newest member!